UET’s outstanding events and achievements in 2019
- VNU University of Engineering and Technology celebrated the 15th anniversary of its establishment, 20 years of traditions, marking a remarkable development in terms of scale and quality of training activities, scientific research and organizational structure
2. Launching the Faculty of Agricultural Technology (FAT) and the training program of Agricultural Technology was opened and began recruiting students in 2019
3. The Prime Minister appointed Vice Rector Pham Bao Son as Vice President of Vietnam National University, Hanoi (VNU). VNU President reappointed Assoc.Prof.Dr. Nguyen Viet Ha holds the position of Rector of the VNU University of Engineering and Technology for the term 2019-2024.
- To well-implement the work of enrollment and the development roadmap of training programs and majors according to planning and ensure the quality of training:
(1) The scale of undergraduate enrollment continues to increase, surpassing the threshold of 1500 students / year with good input quality;
(2) Develop 02 new high-quality training programs under Circular 23 (including Training Program of Information System, Mechatronics Technology), bringing the total number of high-quality training programs under Circular 23 to 4 majors with a scale of more than 1,000 students, and new undergraduate programs including Agricultural Technology, Control and Automation Technology;
(3) The employment rate of students after one year of graduation still remains the highest among the technical universities: According to the K58 survey, the employment rate of students after one year of graduation is 96% and relatively equal in the fields of training. Students working in the private sector (47%) and foreign joint ventures (36%) account for a higher proportion than the state sector. This shows that the brand and quality of training of the VNU-UET are trusted by domestic and international society and companies;
(4) The AUN-QA (ASEAN University Network-Quality Assurance) assessment has commenced for the Bachelor of Mechatronics Technical Technology training programs, operated by the Faculty of Mathematics, Mechanics and Informatics at VNU-UET in November / 2019.
- Innovating teaching activities is a key task of VNU in general and VNU-UET in particular. In 2019, VNU-UET has developed a Teaching Innovation Plan for the period of 2019-2025 and has implemented many innovative activities in the field of training including enrollment, training programs, teaching and learning activities, and learning materials…
Students have done online exercises of the basic coding modules, papers were automatically graded, thereby helping to enhance the ability of self-study, increasing regular assessment with students. The other modules in this group have video lectures and equipment modules to help students practise better.Regarding Basic Informatics Module 1, the VNU-UET has built an online learning module on the basis of the subject website. For the coding team led by the Faculty of Information Technology (Basic IT 4, Advanced Programming), last year there were 800 K62 students using the software on website: http://uetcodehub.com with the number of visits is about 90,000/ each semester, the number of exams per semester is about 300,000, an average of 2 exercises per student per day. Regarding the 4th Basic Informatics course, students do about 200 exercises on the system.Most of the modules in the training program are taught in the traditional way with the support of technology such as the subject website, equipments, laboratories, etc.Teachers and students are initially interested in the subject website and a new educational method – blended learning which combines traditional classroom and online learning, such as group of coding subjects of FIT.Besides, the VNU-UET uses DoIt software to support learners to check and complete thesis, dissertation and thesis; source code copy-protection software is used in programming subjects.
- The capacity for scientific research and technology transfer continues to be confirmed:
(1) attracted many research projects with a total budget of VND 63 billion; (2) published 243 articles including 80 articles in the ISI and SCOPUS; (3) Intellectual property activity has developed strongly: there are 3 patents and 12 intellectual property registration applications accepted; (4) Policies to support international publication, intellectual property registration and laboratory development continue to be effectively implemented; (5) Many science and technology products are transferred and well-received.
– Patent “Method of encoding and decoding distributed video” by Dr. Dinh Trieu Duong and his partners (FET); “Deep sea wave energy conversion device” by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Dang The Ba; “The inter-frame coding process supports the repeated image block identification, reduces the size of the post-encoded bit sequence and eliminates the effect of quantum error for the repeat image block” – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Tran Xuan Tu and his partners.
- The VNU-UET strengthens and promotes creative start-ups among students with the following activities:
The VNU-UET has launched the contest ” Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Vietnam National University, Hanoi” and the program of Startup Supporting Project (Code: 844.04.NV06.ĐHCN.04-19) of the Ministry of Science and Technology. Thereby, VNU-UET organized a series of seminars on entrepreneurship orientation with the purpose of providing an overview of the current technology trends and situation for students in the fields of Information Technology, Electronics and Telecommunication, Engineering Physics and Nanotechnology , Engineering Mechatronics and Automation. From there, students have a new perspective on entrepreneurship, inspiring them to build innovative and viable startup ideas. In addition, the program is also a bridge between students who have the idea of entrepreneurship together, with businesses through meetings at the seminar. From there, students have the opportunity to receive training and improve their knowledge related to entrepreneurship to successfully raise capital.
Actively propagating and encouraging students to participate in competitions in the field of start-up and intellectual property such as the contest “Creative ideas”, gameshow “Copyright and Creativity” …
The Youth Union and the Student Union of the VNU-UET set up a inter-club model of “Connecting businesses, researching and developing products, starting a business” by Youth Union and Student Union of VNU-UET is the only model in the Northern to be awarded the 9/1 Award at the 3th Expansion Central Executive Committee Conference of the Vietnam Students’ Association. The model was formed by three clubs: Human Resource Club (HRTech), Electronics and Automation Club (UETX) and the Science Research and Startup Support Club (LoM) under the direction of the Students’ Union.
- Many individuals and teams of VNU-UET honoured (1) The VNU-UET got the title of Excellent Labor Team and was awarded a certificate of merit by VNU President; Faculty of Engineering Mechatronics and Automation and Department of Science, Technology and International Relations were awarded the flag of VNU’s leading unit of emulation;
(2) 02 teachers were recognized to be qualified for the title of Professor (Prof. Dr. Chu Duc Trinh – Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunication and Prof. Dr. Hoang Nam Nhat – Faculty of Engineering Physics and Nanotechnology ), 02 teachers were recognized to achieve the title of Associate Professor (Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nguyen Hoai Son – Faculty of Information Technology and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Bui Thanh Tung – Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunication); TS Hoang Van Xiem won The Golden Globe Youth Award on Science and Technology and Student Vu Huong Giang (K62ĐB, Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications) won the title of Outstanding Female Student in the field of Science and Technology in 2019 by the Central Committee of the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union, Ministry of Science and Technology jointly awarded;
(3) The VNU-UET continues to have a team to attend the final round of the ACM / ICPC exam; won high prizes in the ASEAN Information Security Contest (second prize), IEEE SEACAS Hackathon (first prize), Code War nationwide (championship); achieved 02 experimental second prizes, 03 multiple choice second prizes, 1 third prize for exercises and 01 exercise encouragement prize for the XXII National Physics Olympiad Contest; get 01 First Prize, 3 Second Prize and 4 Third Prize at the 27th National Mathematical Olympiad Contest in 2019.